Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Update:21304921093

While I have lost exact track of time I have been here I think this is my 7th week training here. I'm pretty happy with how its all holding up - we are all training twice per day 6 days a week putting everything we have into it.

This trip is a really big deal for all of us, as we have put our whole lives on hold back in NZ for us to have this opportunity to do Judo at this level hopefully giving us the skills we need to chase our dreams in Judo further.
Personally I planned to go to University this year if I hadnt came here to train, while I feel its important to study & prepare for my future I love doing Judo just too much to pass on this opportunity to pursue Judo like this. I dont regret it.

Its definatly a different way to experience Japan, most people we meet spend everyday sight seeing, enjoying fine food and so forth. By contrast we spend our days either doing Judo or commuting between Judo trainings. Most of the people we meet think we are slightly crazy, and...maybe we are.
Example, today I feel like I have been hit by a train, then had it reverse back over me to finish the job, but yesterday I threw someone with Uchi-mata something I have never done even back in NZ so I think its worth it.


There is one Judoka freshman at Ritsumeikan Uni Judo that was on the Japanese Cadet team when he was younger having achieved 4th in Japan at a competition. His Judo is insanely good, as soon as I get a grip he peels it off just by moving his body backwards (his Gi is like sandpaper) and once he has taken a hold of my sleeve its like its locked in a vicegrip. I'm trying to work out exactly what it is that he does so I can attempt to emulate it.

This Sunday we are thinking about going up the river as there is said to be a spot known to be good for swimming, so if the weather decides to behave it should be good.

J

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing a great experience! Keep up the good work and live your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mate, sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure this isnt a dream haha.

    ReplyDelete