Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lazy Sunday

And so another week has rather eventfully passed by in the blink of an eye.
This week just past was perhaps one of my favourite weeks here in Japan so far, my body dosnt hurt as much as usual, I dont get half as gassed(modernisation of 'puffed out/knackered') from Judo as I did earlier, all in all I think my body has finally caught up with my lifestyle...it sure took a while doing so though.

You know how you allways here commentators in the Olympics, title boxing matches, kickboxing fights and so forth comment on the heart of the fighter/athlete and how important it is, that something I never really paid much attention too, thinking it all came down to just physical conditioning & skill base. Not true.
Over here I often find myself with literally nothing left, my throat burns, my arms are burning full of lactic acid, I cant replace my air fast enough and theres still 8 minutes on the clock and another 5 Randori's (sparring sessions) to go. Its a hell of mental battle.

In short I now know that having heart & being mentally as tough as steel is not just important, its crucial. Theres allways that point in a fight at a competition, when yourv allready gone through 5 fights to get there and you have nothing. I think the best feeling in judo is when I get to that point and emerge on top.

Saturday morning at Rits is a Newaza(ground fighting, you should all know this by now...) day, I look forward to it all week because we don't actually get so much Newaza in over here - the focuss is generally 70-80 % Tachiwaza (standing fighting) due to IJF Olympic rules making it much easier to win up top than down on the ground.
Rules or not, I love Newaza as much as Tachiwaza and manage to more than hold my own here most of the time on the ground due to AK/UNI Judo having a more 50/50 approach to Judo plus the Sensei's (sensei being ultimate coach/teacher) being Newaza experts.
I remember Rick Sensei telling me about when he first came back from Japan to NZ to fight in the nationals and won with obscure submissions that at the time had never been seen in NZ before (Sankaku - for all you BJJ/MMA players its 'Triangle') and he actually had to show the judges that the move existed legally via a Judo book he brought with him from Japan. Times sure have changed.

After training yesterday we went for the Saturday run with the Rits Judo boys, 10 K's up steep winding mountain paths in 34 Degree heat after already doing Judo is bloody tough. But I felt really good and limber after it. We all must of lost about a kg or 2 in fluids during that mountain assault. The boys & girls at Rits are preparing for the 'All - Japan Uni Judo Champs' which is just over a month away in Tokyo, us guys really want to go watch it live, but it probably costs a fair ammount to get there and lodge etc so we will probably be cheering the squad on as we watch it live on TV at home in Kyoto. I'm not sure how theyr going to do, the girls probably stand a good chance of placing but I feel the guys are going to do their best with the emphasis being on developing more competition experience. With all the world famous top Judo Uni's competing like Tokai & Tskuuba home of Olympic champions, National Champs etc its going to be a tough battle. Every dog has its day.

A few friends have been emailing "Jordan, write about more than just doing the Judo!!" sorry to disapoint but thats actually allmost all I do here. Judo, Judo, Judo, Gym, Run, Bike ride, Sleep" My one sin/vice here being in love with iced coffee...I'm not sure how im going to cope when I eventually get back home without it.


Update on Kiwis in Japan; Word is that a couple of extra Kiwi Judokas are in the process of getting ready to come here to train and live with us. Looking forward to them getting here, including our mate Hugo from Wellington Judo. We will know more about who, when and so forth in the coming weeks so watch this space. We will have to create some elaborate hazing ceremony for NZ Judoka living in the house. Sign your life away on the dotted line.


The NZ National training camp was on the weekend just past, being here I'm a bit gutted I didnt have the chance to compete in NZ so far this year and attend the camp and hope to catch the eyes on the NZ Team selectors as is the purpose of the camp, will probably have to wait until next year for that opportunity.

Take care

Jo'Dan.




P.S - If someone could give me an update of how the competition & Camp went I would be interested to hear, also any news in general in NZJUDO is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment