Monday, September 27, 2010

Oji-San Invasion

As many of you may know, lastweek the NZL Masters Judo team competed representing NZ at the Asian Judo masters games here in Japan.

Not satisfied with their very impressive results (Rick Sensei Gold, Pat Toner Gold, Robert Levy Silver Open weight & Bronze weight division plus another bronze from Khan) they have come to Kyoto for a week of intensive girl watching, sight seeing, shopping and of course Judo.

The guys are staying here at the fightclub house, liking it so far - no one is adverse to showering with a gas heated hose that intermittently is not heated for days on end, sleeping on the floor with a 2 MM thick mattress or holes in the floor. Infact they seem to actually like the place which is great- located 2 minutes from the Karasuma Subway line (a main artery line through Kyoto) 5 Minutes walk from a shopping mall, 3 Dojo's within 15 minutes and a gym also within 15 minutes.

It's been good having the guys here so far, Robert has been a great help in terms of knowledge regarding nutrition, training, circuits, gym work the list goes on. I have to have a notebook handy to get all the info, especially nutritional.

I met the team at Kyoto Station yesterday afternoon and it was straight into it, home to drop off the bags, a hasty tour of the manor and then we were back on the lines heading to Osaka to train with Matsuura Sensei's club Daishin Dojo also known as "Kiwi Club" (Matsuura was first national coach of NZ and the Dojo is Sister club to many Judo Clubs in NZ). The training there was good, lots of randori's I wasn't fighting that great but towards the end was sharpening up.

I had a great training yesterday morning at the Kidotai.. literally my best training session there ever, period. Something must of clicked, I was using a new throw I devised, new gripping and new combo's and it caught them off guard. I managed to stalemate Sano San and throw Machia San a few times both guys normally deal me hiding's so to stalemate one and get another was feeling great.

I just received my final scholarship payment, which is great...it's not neccessarily the end of the road right now though. I have a job interview tomorow for a part time job so depending on the outcome of said interview I will decide what the next move is. If I get the job I will be earning more than I would fulltime in NZ doing only 10 hours a week plus my Judo so I cant see how it could go wrong. If I dont make the cut then its a few more weeks of training here and back home to prepare financially for Uni and continue my training there as intensely as possible.

So either result I'm going to be happy.
I really would like to see my family but if I did get the job it wouldnt be long before I could afford to fly for a visit, month or 2. I'm not sure how long I would stay if I get the job anyway.. It's something I'm going to need to play by ear and work out myself.


Did a circuit this morning at the gym under Robs supervision, it's best to do leading up towards a competition working on explosive power to peak perfectly for the fights. So right now looking at doing it twice a week, and 2 days of fullbody workout working on mass until 83/84 Kilo's then going on to power. Ivica will be working mostly off the circuit soon as he is leading up to the NZ Nationals and then the OJU WORLD CUP in Samoa 2 Weeks after so explosive power, peak performance and conditioning are really essential.


This afternoon after a Protein & Complex Carbs rich lunch it's Ritsumeikan Judo training which is allways body wasting and then Enshin Dojo training a couple of hours later at night. Will probably finish that around 10 and be in bed by 1130 since I have to be up at 730AM for training with Riot Cops Judo Team to start the day off. Though after that my next thing will be my Job interview in the afternoon then training at Daishin Dojo which is nearby so that works out really well.
Josepha from Daishin who has given me the lead at the company has been awesome and is lending me a Blazer Jacket for the interview, plus I have the inside interview tips so should go well.


Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment